11.29.2015

Types of Journals - Creativity Journal

I like to think of myself as a pretty creative person! I have WAY more ideas of things to do than time to do them.  So I have different ways to keep track of those ideas - and sometimes work out ways to accomplish some of the ideas that spring to mind.

These days Art Journaling is pretty popular. It's a fun way to play with ideas for my paintings - or just to have some fun with my art supplies finding out what they can do. Playing in a Creative journal or an Art journal can be very freeing and it can help you develop your ideas into something more.

Some people like to use various background treatments like layers of paint and collage. Some people just like to sketch a simple item. Some people like to do mind-mapping. Some people get creative with various types of pens, coloured pencils or markers.  Whatever you use on your pages, you usually do your creating without making a plan in advance - working it out as you go.

Click here to see my Pinterest board on Art Journaling. These are sample pages that others have created that inspire me as I create my own pages and I use them as a spring-board for my own creations!

I like to use a regular sketchbook. Others like Moleskine notebooks. Some like lined or quad-ruled grid pages. Whatever makes you comfortable!

Some days I will just list a whole lot of words or phrases or ideas and challenge myself to see how much space I can fill.

Other days I will work with my art supplies and sketch or paint my ideas. I use quotes or a pre-chosen colour scheme or a special new technique as a jump off point.

Then I will write on the page using pens of various colours.
I will often keep a record of all the colours of watercolour paint I have in my studio. Or I will sketch objects from magazines and art books to practice my sketching skills. Anything goes! It's your creative outlet!

The whole idea is to get the ideas out of your brain. To have fun with colour and texture. To come up with something that looks interesting. To expand on the ideas you have.

Being creative helps you to be MORE creative. So get out your art supplies and your fancy pens and pencils and make a fun mess!


Creativity is a messy business!!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...